Tuesday, November 5, 2013

How can you tell if your task is truly CREATIVE?


Above all, I value creativity in my art room.  I am strongly opposed to art projects and crafts that give step-by-step instructions that lead all students to similar results.  While I steer clear of these "cookie-cutter" projects, this article challenges me to make sure my art lessons are truly promote authentic creative thought as much as possible.  

click here to read this article about promoting creativity in the classroom.

Here are five questions that I can ask myself to ensure that my lesson is truly creative:

1. Does is call for an original response?
2. Is it difficult, but rewarding?
3. Does it require collaboration?
4. Is student work diverse?
5. Do you need to put students' name on the work to identify the art maker?

“I define creativity as the process of having original ideas that have value. Creative work in any field often passes through typical phases. Sometimes what you end up with is not what you had in mind when you started. It’s a dynamic process that often involves making new connections, crossing disciplines and using metaphors and analogies.” Sir Ken Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment